Your fridge is one of the most important appliance in your home. This is an appliance that prolongs the life of your food, either raw or cooked. We all have fridge but are not all are knowledgeable on how to store food properly in your fridge. These tips will not only aid you to prolong the shelf life of your food but can also help you decrease energy consumption. The most important benefit of storing your food properly in your fridge is to keep you and your family safe when it comes to the food you are consuming.
Important Steps on How to Store Food Properly in Your Fridge
Clean your Fridge
Defrost your fridge and unplug it before cleaning it with disinfectant. You should also regularly check if you have food inside the fridge that needs to be thrown out. It is important to remove rotten fruits or vegetables because this can cause increase oxidation as it emits gas.
Organize and Maximize The Use Of Your Fridge
- Fridges have different designs of compartments like with most Kenmore refrigerators you can choose a design, size and capability that suit your needs and fits your budget. For fridge that has chillers, freezer, crisper and cooler make sure you place the food in its proper compartments.
- Use clear containers. Either plastic sealed packages or clear microwavable containers. This will help you organize your fridge , so you can readily see what you have in your fridge. This will also help you to avoid clutter in your fridge but also help your food stay crisp and fresh for longer periods.
Avoid Cross Contamination
- For storing meat in your fridge, it is recommended that meat should be stored in a lower level than other food. This is to prevent meat juice to contaminate other foods. If the freezer is placed on a top shelf, the use of sealed plastic and tray to collect any residual juice from the meat.
- Never store opened cans in your fridge, once a can is opened transfer its contents to another container. If food is not transferred from cans, it may cause food poisoning like botulism.
- Take note of expiration dates. For milk, juice or other products, it is important to keep track of their expiration dates , so you have an idea when those products are safe for consumption, which is one of the best benefits of knowing how to store food properly in your fridge.
- The cool temperature of your fridge prevents proliferation of bacteria. The normal temperature can be set from 36 up to 37 degree Fahrenheit. If there is much food stored in your fridge, decrease the level of temperature to maintain the cool interior.
- Do not place in hot food immediately into your fridge. It is recommended to let it settle and cool down first. The hot temperature of the food that will be put into your fridge will increase the temperature of the fridge. This means that your fridge will be compensating and will consume more power.
The said tips on how to store food properly in your fridge can be very helpful in preparing safe home cooked meal for you and your family. Consider implying these practices in your own homes and see how it benefits you.